Medical Assistance (MA) Transportation
Effective July 1, 2012: The Transportation Program will have new vendors for the Ambulance and Wheelchair portions of our program.
Harford County Health Department’s Medical Assistance Transportation Unit is located at 120 S. Hays Street, Bel Air, Maryland 21014, and can be reached by phone at 410-638-1671; by fax at 443-643-0344; or by e-mail at email@example.com . TTY users call via Maryland Relay.
Hours of Operation for Scheduling Transportation
Hours for Scheduling Appointments
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (except holidays and furlough days)
Hours of Operation for Cab/Sedan Service
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(Saturday and Sunday transportation available for Kidney Dialysis and Chemotherapy only)
The Medical Assistance Transportation grant program is funded by the State of Maryland and coordinates transportation services for Medical Assistance recipients who reside in Harford County, and need transportation to access medically necessary services. This program provides “last resort” transportation for Medical Assistance recipients who have no other means available to get to and from medical appointments. This is a service and not an entitlement. Modes of service transportation available include Ambulatory (cab/sedan), Wheelchair Van, and Ambulance.
This service is available to Harford County residents with eligible, non-restrictive Medical Assistance (Medicaid) coverage. It provides transportation to medical services that are covered by Medical Assistance and for which there is no other means of transportation.
The Transportation Questionnaire (click here) is required for all recipients. First time riders are allowed one (1) courtesy transport before receipt of the questionnaire must be submitted.
A Certification Form for Medical Transportation (see below) is required for all clients requesting a specific mode of transportation, or for those not capable of walking or using public transportation to their medical appointment.
Failure to provide either of these documents could cause delay or denial of your transport.
Instructions for Obtaining Transportation
- Make the appointment with your doctor or medical facility.
- Call the Harford County M.A. Transportation program at 410-638-1671 at least two (2) working days before the day of your scheduled appointment. Click here for a list of days in which State offices will be closed for 2012. Please make sure you take them into consideration when making your reservations.
- Your ride will arrive approximately: One (1) hour before your scheduled appointment time for LOCAL appointments; Two hours before your appointment time for OUT-OF-COUNTY appointments.
- You must call your provider directly for your return trip.
Rules and Regulations
- Clients must live in Harford County.
- Clients must have an active Medical Assistance card.
- Clients must have, upon request, photo identification.
- Clients must NOT HAVE any other means of transportation (this includes other family members or not be within ¾ of a mile from a bus route).
- Clients must make arrangements for transportation at least two (2) working days prior to the day of the scheduled appointment.
- Clients must be going to a MEDICAL appointment covered by the Medical Assistance Program. Services covered by your MCO are NOT necessarily approved by Medical Assistance.
- Clients are NOT permitted to smoke in any vehicle being used for Medical Assistance purposes.
- Client’s services may be suspended at any time for recurring violations (broken appointments). Please remember that this is a service, not an entitlement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I schedule a ride? Call a HCMA Transportation staff member at 410-638-1671, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Calls after 2:00 p.m. will be stored on our message system and will be recorded in the order they are received. Call at least 48 hours (2 business days) before the appointment time. Example: If you have a Monday appointment, schedule your ride on the Thursday before. If you have an appointment the day after a State/County holiday, schedule your ride two (2) business days before the holiday.
What if I need emergency, same-day services? Your physician and/or medical care giver MUST call HCMA Transportation to request emergency transportation for same day service.
What if I need to cancel a ride? Contact the vendor you have been scheduled with or call HCMA Transportation at 410-638-1671. HCMA phone lines have a voicemail system that accepts cancellations. It is important to cancel your scheduled ride as soon as you know that you cannot go to your appointment. When you cancel early, someone else in need may be able to receive a ride.
What happens if I forget to cancel my ride? If you miss rides, you may be required to call and confirm your ride with HCMA one hour before the ride. If missing scheduled rides becomes a habit, you may lose your riding privileges.
What if I have a complaint regarding my ride? Contact the HCMA office so that we can send you a complaint form. In most cases, a response will only be generated upon a receipt of the complaint form.
What if my medical appointment is over quickly and my return ride is not for another 1-1/2 hours? Call the vendor/provider that transported you to your appointment to see if a driver and van are available to pick you up early.
Can you take me to a doctor’s appointment in a different county? Medical Assistance Transportation may drive you to another jurisdiction, if: 1) The physician’s address is outside the county, but it is closer to your home than any provider in Harford County; 2) The physician or facility completes a MA Distant Transportation Certification form (see below) providing the details as to the reason(s) for the appointment to take place outside Harford County. NOTICE !! – “OUT OF COUNTY” TRANSPORT BECAUSE OF INSURANCE COVERAGE WILL BE DENIED.
Can other adults and children ride with me? Adults may have an attendant for assistance, but it must first be approved on a physician’s certification statement. Call the HCMA Transportation office to obtain a Provider Certification for, or see below . Regulations only allow for the child (up to age 16) or children with appointments to ride with a parent or legal guardian. Children without appointments cannot come along. We encourage parents to set up routine appointments for all their children at the same time for the same trip.
What are the policies for bad weather? If Harford County Government is closed, transportation will not operate; however, efforts will be made to transport dialysis and methadone clients. Listen to local radio stations and watch local TV news programs for updates on closings. If bad weather develops during the day, HCMA Transportation will decide whether or not to continue operation. However, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will riders be left at appointments without transportation home.
After 5:00 p.m.: 443-255-0461
Wheelchair Van & Ambulance
TransCare of Maryland
1125 Desoto Road, Suite A
Baltimore, MD 21223
Davi Transportation Services
10806 Reisterstown Road, Suite 1D
Owings Mills, MD 21117